I received a copy of the movie to facilitate this review. All opinions are my own.
A few months ago, when Shane was away at Pali Camp, Zac and I had a Mommy & Me date to go see Ugly Dolls. He had been waiting months to see it and he loved it even more than he thought he did!
The movie was fun, the music was great, and we loved that it sent a great message. The only thing that was missing was sharing it with Shane and Justin- but that changed this week when it came out on Blu-ray!
Shane loved the movie too and both kiddos have been humming along to the soundtrack since our rewatch! If you saw Ugly Dolls in theaters, you should still pick up the Blu-ray- it has a sing-along along with lots of other fun bonus features! Check out everything that’s included:
BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAY, DVD AND DIGITAL:
- Sing-Along Edition
- Sing Along Tease –A small taste of the big fun the Sing-Along Edition provides.
- Fun with the Cast of UglyDolls – Watch the cast of UglyDolls play fun games that showcase their unique talents.
- Making UglyDolls–A closer look at the music behind the film and the talented voice cast that brings these rich characters to life.
- Theatrical Trailers
We decided to make our own “Ugly Dolls”- they turned out pretty cute though if you ask me! Here’s how you can make your own:
DIY Ugly Dolls
2 sheets of felt
Hot Glue Gun + Hot Glue Sticks
*It was cheaper to buy a pillow at my craft store than to buy a bag of stuffing so I just bought a pillow and cut it open for the stuffing!
1. Let your kiddo trace the outline of their doll onto one of the pieces of felt.
2. Place that sheet of felt over the other one and cut along the outline.
3. Decide where any extras are going to go, like googly eyes, buttons, or anything else you may want to add. Hot glue anything that needs to be attached. Then, glue the two pieces of felt along the edges- but only about 3/4 of the way!
4. Once the glue has cooled down, let your kiddos stuff their dolls through the unglued 1/4 of the doll. Once it’s stuffed to their liking, use hot glue to finish closing it up.
5. After all of the glue has cooled down, enjoy your new friend!
The boys loved giving their ugly dolls a backstory and a whole personality. The best thing about these being so abstract is that they can really use their imaginations!
If you are looking for a movie that shows that it’s okay- and even great- to be different and “imperfect”, be sure to check out Ugly Dolls. You can download it on digital or buy it on Blu-ray at your local major retailer or on Amazon.
One lucky reader will win their own copy of the movie! To enter, just use the simple form below. Good luck!