Since I was little, I’ve been in love with pirates, and as a young teen I quickly fell in love with Captain Jack Sparrow. Over the last 14 years, the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise has let me feel like a kid again with each installment, and that’s true once more with Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales!
About the movie:
Johnny Depp returns to the big screen as the iconic, swashbuckling anti-hero Jack Sparrow in the all-new “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.” The rip-roaring adventure finds down-on-his-luck Captain Jack feeling the winds of ill-fortune blowing strongly his way when deadly ghost sailors, led by the terrifying Captain Salazar (Javier Bardem), escape from the Devil’s Triangle bent on killing every pirate at sea—notably Jack. Jack’s only hope of survival lies in the legendary Trident of Poseidon, but to find it he must forge an uneasy alliance with Carina Smyth (Kaya Scodelario), a brilliant and beautiful astronomer, and Henry (Brenton Thwaites), a headstrong young sailor in the Royal Navy. At the helm of the Dying Gull, his pitifully small and shabby ship, Captain Jack seeks not only to reverse his recent spate of ill fortune, but to save his very life from the most formidable and malicious foe he has ever faced.
It’s been a long time since the last installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean saga, and it was nice getting to catch up with some of my favorite characters again! It was also really cool getting to see the next generation come about, and how our old friends, especially Jack, fit in now. Without giving too much away, it was nice to see a character we weren’t sure we’d ever see again! I may have teared up just a bit- or maybe a lot- at that part.
The Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack includes lots of special features, including:
- Dead Men Tell More Tales: The Making of a New Adventure – Get unique access into the making of this exciting new “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie with this collection of revealing and entertaining stories that you can view individually or as a “play all.”
- A Return to the Sea – Two talented filmmakers, Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg, team up to bring “Pirates of the Caribbean” back to the screen. Hear how this new chapter of the tale was developed.
- Telling Tales: A Sit-down with Brenton & Kaya – Meet Brenton Thwaites and Kaya Scodelario, the young actors behind Henry and Carina. The two sit down together for a revealing conversation on becoming a part of the “Pirates of the Caribbean” film franchise and its continuing legacy.
- The Matador & The Bull: Secrets of Salazar & The Silent Mary – Oscar-winner Javier Bardem reveals more about his menacing new character and the foreboding ship he helms.
- First Mate Confidential – Go on-set along with Kevin McNally, the affable actor behind the feisty Mr. Gibbs, Captain Jack’s reliable first mate from all five movies.
- Deconstructing the Ghost Sharks – Peer below the depths at how these ferocious, mythical monsters were designed and brought to life.
- Wings Over the Caribbean – Captain Jack has a memorable encounter with Sir Paul McCartney – rock ‘n’ roll royalty.
- An Enduring Legacy – Take one more look at the “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” experience and the impact of “Pirates of the Caribbean” — the movies, the ride and beyond.
- Bloopers of the Caribbean
- Jerry Bruckheimer Photo Diary
- Deleted Scenes
- Henry Turner Learns a Lesson from Captain Jack
- A Whale in Poseidon’s Tomb
- Alternate Coda: Murtogg & Mullroy “Flogging”
My favorite features of any DVD are usually the bloopers and the deleted scenes. I love the deleted scenes because it shows a little bit about how the movie could have been different- sometimes it’s just a small change and sometimes it’s the tone of the whole movie! The bloopers are also so fun because I just find it so funny to see someone dressed up like a scary ghost laughing over something silly.
The First Mate Confidential was a favorite feature for me too because I love Mr. Gibbs! Oh, and Deconstructing the Ghost Sharks was amazing because, well, ghost sharks.
Be sure to pick up your copy today at a local retailer near you or on Amazon!