Since I quit working last month, we’ve been spending more smartly. We’ve been looking at the money we spend every month & have been trying to find ways to shave a few dollars off wherever possible. In the process, I’ve come up with some tips that are easy to implement that can save anyone money off of their monthly bills! Some of these we already do, and some we’re looking into doing to help us keep to our budget.
1. Consider ditching your land line. Most people have unlimited minutes on their cell phone plans- and if you don’t, look into how much it would be to switch to that plan. It may be less than you’re paying right now for a home phone, and then you’ll have one less bill to pay, one less phone number to remember, and one less thing to charge.
2. Cut electricity costs by installing a programmable thermostat. Especially now that it’s Summer, your air conditioning is probably getting quite the work out. But why spend the money to keep your house extra cool if you aren’t even home? If you work during the day, program your thermostat to a few degrees warmer during the hours that you’re away- you can even program it to go back down to your desired temperature by the time you get home from work. We ARE home all day, but we still have our thermostat programmed to a few degrees warmer during the day & cooler at night so that we’re using it efficiently & we don’t forget to turn it back up in the morning.
3. Get a car insurance quote. When was the last time you shopped for car insurance? It can be time consuming, but considering all options before signing a new contract can save you hundreds of dollars per year. Save time while shopping around by using a one-stop car insurance comparison service.
4. Consider bundling. If your TV provider offers internet services, you can often get a good discount by using the same company for both. Check with your individual provider for options.
5. Save on your groceries with a membership card. Most grocery store chains offer a rewards card for frequent shoppers. Some give you cash back and some save you money on each trip!
When combined, these easy ways to save can end up cutting hundreds of dollars off of your bills every month!
How do you save on your monthly bills?